Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Here I go again

Getting old is no fun. Getting old with complications from a chronic illness is miserable and doing that alone well...


I'm not really sure when it started but seemingly overnight, everyone is younger than me. They're achieving great things, living their dreams and there I remain, seemingly frozen in time.


When it comes to music I'm happy to be left behind. The young folk can have their rap and funk. They can beat box along to their synthesized tunes, I'm perfectly happy to enjoy some 80s classics. I joke about music tastes with some of my work mates as they snigger at my real music with real words. Music is my link to the past and a time where the world was seemingly at my feet and anything was possible..


Since high school I had dreams of finding the woman of my dreams, building a life and growing old together. To this point I remain alone. Hopeful but alone.


For too long now I have been putting off  some things in the hope that some poor soul would wander into my life. That was until this past weekend.


The first weekend of spring brought with it perfect weather. Having cunningly devised a rare weekend off, clear skies called me to get out and about. Tentatively, I got in to my car and headed for the hills.


It's time to do some things.


It's time to do the things I've been putting off. It's time to take that long car trip I dreamed of sharing with someone. It's time to book a holiday on my own terms. It's time to be me. Old, rusty and 80s child, me...


While the empty passenger seat still grates on me I'm making an effort to move on. The fairy tale may never eventuate. The perfect woman may remain locked away in my dreams.


Life is too short to wait around for perfect situations that may never occur. The sun is shining and I am alive. I'm winding the window down, cranking up some classic 80s and hitting the road.




Let's see how this story ends...

6 comments:

  1. Some days I wish I had your attitude. Actually most days I wish that. I feel so blessed to have met you, cause sometimes I think we share a brain. And a very similar taste in music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deciding not to put things off, IMO has lead me to some of the greatest and most unexpected moments of my life. Good for you Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspiration to read. Good for you, Simon. Glad to see you taking life by the horns (to quote a great 80s movie!). For most of us, life just doesn't turn out the way we once expected it to and our dreams change... so take that drive and enjoy every moment! You never know what the future holds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are impressive articles. Keep up the noble be successful.
    From Blood Sugar testing

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEAUTIFUL! maybe on one of these trips you'll run into someone on a solo trip of their own. or not! either way, you're on your own adventure. love it.

    (pssst, you're not older than me. ;P)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm older than you ... That is all ;)

    ReplyDelete